During pregnancy it is very uncomfortable and annoying to experience rib pain. Pregnancy brings about a lot changes and some of these changes experienced by a woman are breast tenderness, heavy body, morning sickness, hormonal changes, nausea, fatigue and frequent urination. During the third trimester many pregnant women experience rib pain. This article is all about the causes and treatment of rib pain during pregnancy. So, read on…
Causes of Rib Pain During Pregnancy
Here are some of the causes of rib pain in pregnancy:
- Growing uterus:- The expansion in uterus which takes place when the baby grows is the most common thing experienced by a pregnant woman. Because of the pressure of the uterus on the rib’s of a woman resulting in rib pain. The muscles between the ribs becomes strained because the size of the uterus increases causing difficulty in breathing. Women with short waist or who are carrying large babies may get fracture in the rib.
- Hormonal Changes:- Increased levels of progesterone in the body of a pregnant woman may lead to rib pain. The ligaments and muscles around the pelvic area stretches when the the progesterone level rise in a woman causing rib pain during pregnancy.
- Heavy Breasts:- The breasts of a woman tend to grow in size and become heavy during pregnancy. Heavy breasts puts pressure on the shoulders, rib cage as well as upper back causing rib pain.
- Infection in the Urinary Tract:- If a woman is experiencing symptoms such as pain, burning sensation and difficulty in urinating during pregnancy may also suffer from rib pain.
What is the Treatment for Rib Pain in Pregnancy?
- A woman who is pregnant and severely suffering from rib pain should consult a doctor immediately. The doctor may prescribe painkillers such as acetaminophen or tyleno as they are safe to use during pregnancy.
- When you are pregnant, practice yoga and some breathing exercises in order to get relief from rib pain.
- Wear correct size bra. It will reduce the pressure caused from heavy breasts, thus minimizing the rib pain.
- While sitting or sleeping, try to be in the right posture as this reduces some amount of pressure on the ribs. Thus, reducing the pain and provides comfort.
- You can also place ice packs on the painful area in order to get relief from rib pain.
- Practice stretching exercises and try lying on the side opposite of the pain when you are resting.
If you are experiencing rib pain during pregnancy, then you should not get worried. You need to follow the right medications and home remedies mentioned above in order to get relief from rib pain. This would relax you to have a normal and healthy pregnancy